The inspiration for my work stems from a brief study of Rembrandt’s late portraits specifically the brush work and the way he applied highlights to gold and metallic objects with quite an abstract result. I wondered “Isn’t all painting ‘abstract’ to some extent?
My work explores the line between abstraction and realism. I call it “Micro Abstraction”. The concept differs from what’s referred to as ‘Abstract-realism’ seen in the work of James Kandt, and to some extent William Turner because the abstract areas are clearly confined to patches of thick paint while the subject matter provides context and takes on a carefully crafted realism. This series is called “Micro Abstraction, Helmets” and depicts historic war helmets and masks at different stages of corrosion.
I use heavy weave canvas or gesso boards and metal leaf is applied sparingly in some cases. I find that canvas allows me to apply thick paints to create a heavy robust feeling The board provides a perfect surface for smooth metallic effects using thin layers of paint, washes and metal leaf.
* 1990: BArch, Syracuse University
* 1993: MS Computer And Digital Design, California Polytechnic State University
* 2016-2018: Maine Collage of Art, Studied under Diane Dahlke
* Private Collection, South Portland, ME
* Private Collection, Syracuse, NY
* Private Collection, Skaneateles, NY
* Private Collection, Athens, GA
* Private Collection, Oneonta, NY
* Private Collection, Portland, ME
EXHIBITIONS SINCE 2016
* 2016: CREATE V; The Annual Continuing Studies Student & Faculty Exhibition
* 2017: CREATE VI: The Annual Continuing Studies Student & Faculty Exhibition
* 2018: “Tell a Story”, national juried exhibition at the Cape Cod Art Center, Barnstable, MA.
* 2018: Western Maine Art Group Juried Art Show at the Mattolcsy Art Center, Norway, ME.
* 2018: Hallow Gallery Members Show at the Hallow Gallery, Hallowell, ME
* 2018: 3rd Annual Waterscapes, Fusion Art Exhibition, September finalist
*2018: “Into the Wild”, Fusion Art Exhibition, October finalist
*2019: “A Moment in Time”, Spring Open Juried Exhibition, Old Town Arts and Crafts Guild, Cutchogue, NY
*2019 “Narrative and Illusion” National Open Juried Exhibition, Art League Rhode Island, Providence, RI
*August, 2019 West Gallery, River Arts, Damariscotta, ME
- Gill Letourneau, 2019